Wednesday, August 5, 2015

My Rhetorical Action Plan 
1) I am trying to persuade the people in the social media world who have taken a stand on the protests of shutting down TMT. 
  • knowledge- The audience knows that Mauna Kea is a sacred and environmentally sensitive area in which the biggest telescope ever is in the process of being built. Their knowledge of the subject can vary from knowing just the basics above, to knowing more details about Mauna Kea and its importance to the Natives. Their position on the topic is to stop TMT from being built on the sacred land of Mauna Kea. They most likely heard about this information or controversy through twitter, news articles, or magazines. 
  • value- The values that my audience holds is the importance of culture and religion. They believe in protecting and following the practices and rules of their culture. They want to protect the origins of where they came from as a symbol or respect to their ancestors. They believe that they should keep their holy and sacred land as monument for todays society. 
  • Standards of Arguments: The research on studies about how the TMT project is taking precautions with the land they are building on, and the environmental effect they face. I will also use professional insights showing my audience the importance of this telescope to the Hawaiian community and our world, showing that it has more advantages than disadvantages. I will translate this research by breaking it down into parts by showing how this project is not hurting the land they treasure, and then by displaying the importance of this telescope and its benefits to the audience and the native Hawaiians 
  • Visual Elements- My audience may respond to images of the telescope and what it will look like, but also images that show emotion and character of construction workers or team managers showing respect to the culture on Mauna Kea.
  • Purpose- My audience is reading/listening to my argument to see another perspective on the controversy that they may not have insight on. My argument could show another perspective, but also relay new information to people who have chosen a side but don't know many details about the controversy at first hand. I am trying to expand their understand so they can make an educated decision. Even though most of my audience has taken a position, I think that my argument can show them a different perspective on this telescope, hopefully leading to rethink their opinions. I believe that my argument is likely to motivate some of audience but not all. Some people don't value worldview and will only stick to one opinion without considering the other viewpoints.
2) I will be writing/or podcasting a persuasive from of writing. 
  • the function of this genre is to persuade the opposing viewpoints on a controversy to understand and agree with my opinions and viewpoint on the debate. Its designed to make the readers rethink their opinions and understand another perspective. I chose it because I have a strong opinion on the TMT controversy and I want my audience to see my viewpoint because I thing it is plausible and important. 
  • The setting of my genre could be used in a science magazine and or a video podcast on social media. I could see it being used on social media such as Facebook or twitter because that is where this controversy has blown up.
  • The two main rhetorical appeals that I will use are logos and pathos. Logos because I want to state the facts of how TMT is not hurting the land on Muana Kea, and to also show the contributions TMT will bring to the astronomy community. I will use pathos to reach my audiences emotions on the controversy because to persuade someone I have to make them understand the facts and the feelings of my viewpoints. I will do this by adding visual effects and maybe use a podcast so they can hear the tone in my voice. 
  • Depending on whether I do a podcast or not, I will most likely use visual elements to show the telescope.
  • I will use a conversational style to reach my audience because I don't want them to feel preached at or looked down upon. I want my approach to be seen as a different viewpoint for my audience to ponder about. 
3) - Positive support 
  • My audience may understand my argument and start posting on social media to support the TMT project 
  • People who were not educated on the subject can now take a stand on how they feel towards it.
  • People will start to see the importance of telescope and the benefits they can bring 
Negative rebuttals 
  • People may see it as disrespect to the native Hawaiian culture to support the TMT project 
  • My audience could become angry and post even more to help shutdown TMT 
- The rebuttal of seeing my comments as disrespect to the native Hawaiian culture. 
  • I would respond by showing my respect to their culture, and by explaining how I value culture and religion too, but i would say that I won't let my past hold me back from moving forward in the future. I would explain to them how I believe it is important to move forward while respecting our past and culture by making compromises between both. 
- The path of my persuasion 
  • If my argument successfully persuades my audience to see how harmless yet important this telescope can be, I can see it hitting the social media word with people posting to help put the TMT project with respect the Hawaiian culture. Further on I could see it reaching other countries showing Hawaiians and other protecters/supporters of Mauna Kea to also see my perspective. That will lead to a mutual view in hope of ending this controversy and finding compromises to where this telescope can be up and running on Mauna Kea without causing harm to the Natives and their sacred land.

No comments:

Post a Comment